Family photos are a great way to capture memories and create lasting keepsakes. Whether you’re taking photos of your family at home or on vacation, there are several tips and tricks that can help you take great family photos. In this blog post, I'll share some tips for taking great family photos and recommend some cameras that are well-suited for photographing family and friends.
The below images are from a recent family photo shoot taken in Chipperfield Woods in Hertfordshire. I have used this location multiple times for a variety of family photos and portraits, thanks to the space, ease of access and a variety of natural props, it always deliveries, no matter the time of year! The photoshoot was organised for their grandma's 80th birthday and included 13 people and multiple generations. Due to the large number of people and variety of photos requested, it was a challenging photoshoot!
Tips for family Portraits
Here are 6 tips and pieces of advice to get the best out of your portrait photos.
• Plan ahead: Think about what you want to achieve with your photos and plan accordingly. Choose a location that is meaningful to your family and make sure everyone is dressed appropriately.
• Be flexible: Kids can be unpredictable, so be prepared to change your plans if necessary.
• Keep it simple: Don’t try to do too much in one photo. Focus on capturing the moment and the emotions of your family.
• Get down on their level: Take photos from their perspective to create a more intimate and engaging photo.
• Use natural light: Natural light is always best for photos. Try to take photos outside or near a window if possible.
• Have fun: The most important thing is to have fun! If everyone is relaxed and enjoying themselves, it will show in your photos.
You can also check out some blogs that offer more tips and ideas on family photography such as Pixpa, Shotkit, and Adobe. They offer a wealth of information on how to take great family photos. Of course getting inspiration from Pinterest and YouTube is also a great idea!
What camera should I use for family portraits?
There are several cameras that are well-suited for photographing family and friends such as Sony a6100, Canon EOS Rebel T8i, Nikon Z6 II, Fujifilm X-T30 II, and Canon EOS R7123. These cameras have advanced features that can help you take great family photos. However, you don’t necessarily need an expensive camera to take great family photos. Or course, you can also use your smartphone camera which has improved significantly over the years and can produce great results as well, though I would not recommend it if you plan on making money from your photos! That being said, a good photographer will be able to take great pictures with any modern camera or smart phone.
Taking great family photos can be a fun and rewarding experience. By following these tips and tricks, you can create lasting memories that you and your family will cherish for years to come. Remember to plan ahead, be flexible, keep it simple, get down on their level, use natural light, and most importantly, have fun! With these tips in mind, you’ll be well on your way to taking great family photos.
Hertfordshire - Family Portrait Photographer
Interested in family portrait photos?
Hertfordshire Family Portraits
Professional portrait photos are a great way to preserve memories and create lasting keepsakes for you and your family. Interested in attending a family photo shoot in Herts, Beds or Bucks? Get in contact with Samson by clicking here.